Date: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th December 2019
Join baking & buttercream expert, Marianne Stewart, for a full 2 days of learning all the essential skills for baking, layering, stacking & decorating buttercream cakes.
In this class we will cover Marianne’s signature recipe for a moist yet sturdy and adaptable sponge recipe, which you will bake yourself (no it’s not another Victoria sponge!). You will learn how to make fillings, such as citrus curd, cake syrups and Swiss Meringue Buttercream, and how to adapt all of these to produce a myriad of cake flavours. In this class we will be making an orange, rhubarb & rose cake, but you will learn how to easily create different & original flavours of your own.
Learn professional skills, such as trimming sponges, layering and masking for a perfectly even finish. Most importantly, we will cover how to dowel, stack & use a central dowel to keep your tiered cakes super sturdy during transportation. Your cakes will be decorated in up-to-date techniques such as textured and striped buttercream and free-form piped petals.
- How to bake a reliable, adaptable sponge cake recipe
- How to scale recipes for different sized tins
- How to adapt flavours of sponges & fillings to create a whole myriad of original flavours
- How to make delicious cake fillings, such as citrus curd
- Making cake syrups & adapting for different flavours
- Making Swiss meringue buttercream, flavouring & colouring
- Trimming sponges to achieve a perfectly even finish (& using different tools to do this)
- Layering & masking sponges with fillings, & how to keep the fillings neatly inside the cake
- How to create an on-trend textured & coloured buttercream finish
- How to use the correct tools & techniques to get a super neat striped buttercream finish
- The correct recipe & consistency to get coloured ganache drips
- How to pipe free-form petals to finish your cakes creatively
- How to dowel and stack your cakes as well as how to use a central dowel to keep your tiers safely together during transportation
You will leave with your own 2-tier 100% edible creation, as well as all the recipes & skills acquired to confidently replicate your own tiered buttercream cakes at home.
This class with run from 9am to 5pm on both Saturday and Sunday and all materials and notes will be provided. The only thing you need to bring along is a notepad and pen should you wish to take additional notes.
Our studio is based in the village of Wedmore, Somerset. We are based 25 minutes from Bristol International Airport; Nearest Train Station; and M5 Motorway. Accommodation is available on site and within the village and help can be provided when making your travel plans.
Free Parking is available and lunch is included.
Spaces are very limited and this class will be smaller than usual so book now to avoid disappointment. We cant wait to have you visit!